As the Family Goes

JP II Quote

"As the family goes, so goes the nation, and so goes the whole world in which we live." John Paul II

Thursday, March 5, 2020

(Imperfect) Rules for Running - And for Life


I have been a runner for a little over a year now, and it is always remarkable to me the lessons I learn about running, that are also applicable to life in general.  Here, in no particular order, are a few of the things that generally strike me while I’m out on the roads.



#1: Have Reasonable Goals

I’ve tried to take up running many times, dating back to before I was married, but I never managed to keep up the habit.  So back in the Fall of 2018 when I felt the urge to try once more, I was determined to make it a sustainable habit. To do that, it had to be something that wasn’t too big to fit into my life. For one, I only had a certain amount of time to devote to this hobby.  And for another thing, once the momentum wore off (which it always does), it had to be something that wasn’t so big that I talked myself out of it. I settled on a half hour at a time, at least three times a week.  That way there was never any excuse for me not to fit it in.  There is nothing I do in the course of my day that can’t wait half an hour for me to do something good for myself (and interestingly, I have found that by making this time for myself, I return home more productive, and actually accomplish the same or more as I did before I started running).  


In life, we need to have this same mercy on ourselves.  Having goals is important, even crucial to success. But if we want them to be sustainable, we have to make sure they are so big that we give up as soon as we lose our groove.


#2: As Long as you Show Up, You’re Winning

Someone asked me the other day, “so do you have a particular goal for distance?” And the answer is no, I don’t – and I don’t want to.  Of course I have an idea in the back of my mind of what a good run in (in general, if I can manage 5K at a time I’m happy), but there are so many seasons in life that can throw that off. This winter hit me like a ton of bricks – for the first time since I started running I started going backwards in my progress, and it was difficult not to be discouraged.  Since June I had been running the full half hour with no walking breaks, but during my first real winter run it was clear that the combination of cold, slush, ice, and being all bundled up did not lend itself to setting pace records.  Conscious of the fact that I did not want to lose time over the winter, I decided to revert to short walking breaks every 5 minutes or so (something I hadn’t done since my early days of learning to run).  Doing this helped prepare me for the cold weather running, and gave me something to focus on when I just really wanted to give up to the elements. Knowing I had this freedom before I even stepped out the door, and setting this as my goal made me feel deliberate in my walking breaks, and not like I was performing less.  For the winter, as in any season, the goal for me is not to break any distance or speed records, but to just show up and do whatever I can for my thirty minutes.  Running needs to accommodate me in all seasons of life – mental and physical challenges, illness, stress, whatever it is. It needs to work for me.


In life, we need to be aware of what we can give in any given moment. Sometimes it’s a monumental effort, something we can be proud of, and it really shows. And at other times, it might be less. We might have more going on, other people who need us, children, friends, etc.  All of these can have an effect on what we are able to give.  It doesn’t mean we cut ourselves off, but it’s okay to scale back on our efforts to accommodate a more difficult season of life.



#3: Don’t Stop until you’ve Crested the Hill

When I first added hills to my running routes, it was daunting.  It takes so much effort to make it to the top, especially when you’re used to level ground.  But I’ve found that if I can just maintain my effort until the top, usually I feel different once I’ve arrived. In the middle of a hill I’ll often think, “As soon as I get to the top, I’m walking.”  Only to find that when I arrive, my stamina returns and I am able to continue with ease.  Hills have a purpose for us. They build muscle and endurance, and can make what comes after them seem much easier than it was before we climbed them.  I never tell myself I can’t take a break if I need to.  I just try to wait until the top, knowing that I may feel different than I did when I was in the hardest part of my effort.

In life, we have seasons of ease and seasons of difficulty.  We can be tempted to throw in the towel, but often in the heat of the uphill, we don’t see with the same clarity as we do at the top. We can always reassess once we’re through the difficulty.  And if keep moving through it, we may just find that once we’ve made it through, our perspective has changed.


#4: Sometimes the Hill Really is Too Much


This is an exception to the previous rule.  Yesterday I chose a new route with a huge hill.  I did my best not to stop, but in the end it got the better of me. There is no shame in that. I walked for a short time, and then started running again.  I hadn’t crested the hill yet, but allowing myself a brief walking break helped me regroup and find the strength I needed to finish the course.


In life, we should never feel bad about taking a break if we need it.  There are seasons when we need to push pause – not stop.  With the end goal in mind, don’t be afraid to slow down and regroup, sometimes that’s exactly what we need to see something through.


#5: Surround Yourself with Supportive People

Late in the fall when the weather changed, I mentioned to my husband that I needed a head lamp so I could keep running when the evenings became darker earlier. Not long after that, one showed up in the mail. So many times this winter when I was on the fence about running, I remembered that lamp he bought me, and realized it was one more reason not to miss a run. My husband is not a runner, but he regularly supports me by allowing me the time to run, and buying me cool things (like new running gear) that give me an extra incentive to get out when I start feeling sluggish.


In life, people don’t need to share your interests to be a support to you.  The best influences will be people who want you to be happy and successful, and help you to achieve that.


#6: Know Your Terrain

When I first started running, I was advised that soft ground was easier to run on than hard ground.  I have always preferred running on pavement, but hurt my knees early on and thought maybe this would be the reason. However I have also found that when ground is too soft, it can be a hindrance. Slush and mud not only slow me down, but they make me work harder and are a mental drain. In general, though the experts may disagree, I prefer hard terrain to soft, especially when it’s on the soggy side.


In life, it never helps to water down the hard truths. It may be more difficult at the time, but in the end, this is what allows us to grow and progress. While a little softness can be a mercy, too much can create soggy ground, which is not productive for anyone.


#7: Go In Prayer

People are often surprised to find that I don’t run with any electronic devices.  No music, no podcasts. When I run, my favorite thing to do is pray the rosary.  I find in this repetitive devotion the perfect rhythm to help me stay motivated.  When I feel like giving up, I focus on the Hail Mary’s and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Much like hills, I choose not to take a walking break until I’ve reached the end of a decade (and usually by then, I decide to keep going).  Mary is a constant companion, and helps me to focus when the road gets tough.


In life, we can dismiss repetitive devotions. But when times get tough, this repetitiveness can be exactly what we need to help us remain focus, and keep us from giving up. While we can struggle to find the words to pray, devotions like the rosary give us the words where we find difficulty, and can help orient our hearts and minds to Jesus in prayer.



It never ceases to amaze me how God teaches us through the things we love most in life.  Every small moment is full of meaning and purpose, if we have eyes to see.  Life is full of beauty and possibility all around us. It is my prayer that Jesus will touch you today, through the things in life that bring you joy.


No comments :

Post a Comment