As the Family Goes

JP II Quote

"As the family goes, so goes the nation, and so goes the whole world in which we live." John Paul II

Monday, March 25, 2013

March 25, 2013 Snapshot

Been a slow couple of weeks in the blogosphere for me.  Jeff just finished a crazy work week, which meant a few crazy days for me.  I was very blessed however to have a full week of company, friends to visit, family to chat with, and a sleepover at my parents' house.  All of this made the week that much more bearable (but left little time for blogging).  So now that things are normal, please allow me to share what we've been up to in the last two weeks:


Hurray for photos of all the kids together!  A friend of mine very kindly took one for me when the baby was a newborn, but I hadn't had a good recent one.  St. Patrick's Day provided the perfect occasion. My second son's Godmother is the biggest St. Patrick lover on the planet, and I knew she would love to see a photo of her Godson and his siblings "wearin' the green!"  As a Catholic I love St. Patrick's Day, and the story of how this brave Saint brought the faith to Ireland, and did so much to help the Irish people.  It was a great opportunity to learn about him, and to celebrate what he has done for the Catholic faith all over the world.

My oldest son is in Cubs, and had Kub Kar races this past weekend.  Jeff was working the night shift and I had taken the kids to my parents' overnight, and the race was the next day.  My parents very kindly agreed to keep the other kids with them so I could bring him for *gasp* 10:00 am!  It wouldn't have been so bad, except that I had forgotten his Kub Kar at home, and he needed to be there bright and early to finish his car, because he hadn't been able to attend the meeting that week. And, as I often do when Jeff is working nights, I stayed up way way way too late the night before.  But my Mom was a great help in getting us up and out the next morning, and it was a great opportunity to spend time with my oldest boy almost one-on-one (the baby still had to come).  And - he finished third, and gets to go to the regional races next month.  He is one happy little boy!

This little girl loves being silly.  Sometimes too much so.  Occasionally, as was the case this past week, she catches a silly streak at the most impossible of times (say, noon mass, when I'm by myself with all six kids!)  We arrived for mass late, and I snuck in the back only to have to leave at communion because she refused to listen (and I had my hands full with the baby and a very rambunctious toddler).  I messaged the priest, a friend, to apologize for having caused such a scene, and he was very encouraging and told me to bring them back anytime.  God bless him!  He must know how much we need the grace.  Though I am resolved to do a better job of being on time...

The big news a couple of weeks ago was the white smoke from the Sistine Chapel - we have a pope!  It was so incredible to take all of it in with the kids.  We watched a great video my mother-in-law sent me the day that the conclave started, explaining how the Pope is chosen.  After that the kids were eager to find out which cardinal would become pope.  We eagerly gathered around the TV for the first burning of the ballots, and were disappointed after not even fifteen minutes to see the black smoke.  Next morning, it was the same.  That afternoon, the big boys and I rushed home from piano, turned on the TV to discover the blessed news - white smoke!  For the next hour the kids, Jeff and I sat glued to the TV, waiting to see who he was.  Friends and family called to see if we were watching.  The boys said, "go to Google and type in 'who is the Pope?' " and they had a hard time understanding that nobody knew, that this was all unfolding right now, before our eyes.  Which made it all the more beautiful for me.  When the new Holy Father finally came out, we were so excited!  We prayed with him, and received his Papal blessing, with millions of Catholics all over the world.  I was so struck with the beauty of the universal church, and what this faith really means.  And I am so excited for this man that the Lord has given to our church.  I can't wait to see what great things God will do through him.

This is a common sight these days - three excited boys hurrying across the road to meet their friend - in spring attire!  Though we got another dumping of snow last week, the sun is clearing it away fast, and the river is opening up. The days are longer and the sun shines brightly.  How I love this time of year.

This boy is exactly like his dad.  They are two peas in a pod. Last Saturday he took the opportunity to get some extra Dad snuggles in before his crazy workweek.  We sure did miss him, and are glad he's back to a normal schedule.  He is the heartbeat of our household, and we miss him like crazy when he's not here.

Every time I look at Stephen, I can't believe how quickly he's growing.  He's getting tall and slim, and I predict he'll be taller than his brothers someday.  He came barrelling into the room where I was changing the baby, singing at the top of his lungs, and I thought "what on earth is he doing?"  Turns out he was listening to his iPod.  It was so funny!

And finally, my baby boy.  I am enjoying him so much these days!  He has so many challenging behaviours (as does any two-year-old) but he is just full of such joy.  I read what I have found to be the best parenting book I've ever read recently, and it's given me some helpful suggestions for navigating these years with grace.  Which is good, because there is so much goodness to be had!  Too often I get so wrapped up in the way that a particular behaviour is challenging to me, that I forget that I'm the one who's supposed to be teaching him. I guess we both have a lot to learn, but I couldn't ask for better partners on this parenting journey than he and his siblings.  Life with all of them is always so very good.

Cheers!

No comments :

Post a Comment