As the Family Goes

JP II Quote

"As the family goes, so goes the nation, and so goes the whole world in which we live." John Paul II

Monday, October 11, 2010

Lover's Eyes

My husband tells me all the time that I am the most beautiful woman in the world.  I know that I'm not (obviously!)  But I really believe that to him, I am.  Because one of the things I love most about my husband is that he is honest.  And he wouldn't just throw those words out there if he didn't mean them.  I can tell by the way he looks at me - he means it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have low self esteem.  I'm generally happy with my life, and my appearance.  Still, when you're eight months pregnant, it's hard to imagine being beautiful - especially by today's standards.  When I'm between babies and staying fit, it's a little easier to believe him.  But when I'm in my third trimester of pregnancy and completely devoid of energy, it's a little harder to understand.  The funny thing is that I came across some pictures of me from ten years ago the other day, when I was about thirty pounds heavier than my average weight now (heavier than I am at the moment, seven weeks away from delivering a baby!) - and he said it to me then too.  Despite my ever-changing appearance, he always sees me as the most beautiful person in the world.  I tell him that I hope he always sees me like that, and I have a feeling that he will.  Because I figure it must have something to do with love.  Not so much that love blinds you, but rather your love is reflected back to you in the one you love.  You see, when I look at him, I see the one who loves me more than anyone else in the whole entire world.  And because of that, I look at him differently than I do anybody else.  I smile bigger, I glow a little brighter, and it changes my appearance.  I am more beautiful when I look at him than anybody else, because the love he has for me makes me more beautiful.

It's the same with kids.  Every parent thinks their children are the most beautiful children in the world - I tell my own kids all the time.  Of course I know that they are not, really.  But they are to me, and so I feel confident in telling them.  I think that every person should be the most beautiful person in the world to somebody.  And I think that this happens because of the relationship of love that people have with each other.  Children look at their parents and completely light up because they know they are more loved by they than any other people.  And they know it by the things their parents do for them - sometimes hard things, many times gross things, but each thing with love.  And responding to that love, they draw it even deeper out of the ones who are loving them.  That is why, to them, there is nobody more beautiful - because they are seeing with lover's eyes.  And what those eyes behold is a beauty not imagined or created, but deeply real and personal, reflected only to them.

Love is a beautiful thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment